Supervisory Training Program
Testimonials for STP Classes--
- Consistency of one weekly class was good for two reasons: The workload wasn’t too overwhelming that we had to choose either to get our job done or do the coursework. It was easy to remember that you had classing coming up on Wednesday rather than if it were every other week. Each of us had experience, to varying degrees and in different areas.
- Very informative, especially listening to some of the other class participants and their experiences.
- This class can teach you a lot and provide good resources for your future as a construction supervisor as long as you are ready to take the class and put in the effort that it takes to improve yourself.
- Construction is not learned at college even though the classes provide student with certain knowledge that can be applied. I feel that STP is most beneficial to people that need to improve the supervisory skills they already have. The blended format allows you to learn from other professionals as well as an instructor with field experience.
STP Online 3.0
A blended learning experience for all levels of management--without leaving your company site.
- Supervisory/management skills -- or lack of it -- directly affects the company's bottom line.
- STP is a construction specific training curriculum developed, updated, field-tested, and taught by construction professionals.
- Three courses offered per winter season over a 2-year time with a certificate from AGC of America upon successful completion of all.
- Each course is free-standing and can be taken in any order.
- Online blended learning format means devoting 4 hours per week to reading, listening to podcast, and online coursework, plus 60-minute live video conference class at 3:30pm once a week.
- STP Online 3.0 is offered January to March--open to all or by contract for individual companies.
- Line-up of courses in STP Program:
- Risk Management and Problem Solving, March 2023, Rick W. Cherf
- Improving Productivity and Managing Project Cost, February 2023, Matthew D. Reyes
- Planning and Scheduling, January 2023, Dr. Lantz Holtzhower
- Leadership and Motivation 2024
- Communication 2024
- Contract Documents 2024
Click here for more information.
Click here for registration form.
Rick W. Cherf
Rick W. Cherf is a design & construction industry trainer and educator. As principal of Total Construction Services Incorporated, he also provides consulting services to owners, architects, engineers and contractors. His area of expertise is in pre-construction services, program management, project management, leadership and field execution.
Cherf has more than 40 years of experience in the design, construction, maintenance, and commissioning phases of major facilities throughout World. From pipe-layer to carpenter; heavy equipment operator to project manager; and program manager to executive vice-president of a publicly-held service company, Cherf has extensive experience in the development, management and construction of major public and private projects in the commercial, residential, industrial, infrastructure and heavy/civil arenas.
Dr. Lantz Holtzhower
Dr. Lantz Holtzhower completed his Ph.D. in Construction Management at the M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction in Gainesville, Florida at the University of Florida under the direction of Dr. Robert Ries and Dr. Charles Kibert. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Construction Management department at the Kennesaw State University in the Metro Atlanta, Georgia area. He has taught at the University level for 8 years and is heavily involved in student competitions, industry events with the AGC of Georgia, and student success. Courses taught include Construction Scheduling, Estimating and Project Management. He also holds a Master’s degree in Building Construction and a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, both from the University of Florida. Dr. Holtzhower has 9 years of professional construction experience including commercial construction management, electrical contracting, and management experience with a fire protection contractor. The wide variety of projects includes a flagship institutional project, several municipal projects, K12 projects, office buildings, residential amenities, and agricultural storage warehouses. He is a licensed Certified Building Contractor in the State of Florida and a member of the AGC of Georgia.
Matthew D. Reyes
Matthew is an Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma, teaching in the Construction Science division. He completed his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Texas A&M University and his PhD at the University of Oklahoma. He spent several years working in the construction industry as a laborer, crew foreman, assistant superintendent, project engineer, and project manager. He still gets to spend time on construction sites pretty frequently in his role as a safety consultant. Matthew loves the time he gets to spend with his wife and three kids and has fun coaching a youth baseball team and teaching a 5th grade Sunday School class.