Skip to main content

Disaster Recovery

Disaster Recovery

Nebraska Tornado Disaster Recovery

Information for Demolition and Rebuilding Damaged Property

The link below provides important information from the City of Omaha Planning Department about demolition requirements permit applications, inspections, and properties built in the floodplain.

Disaster Recovery Centers Now Open

FEMA has opened two Disaster Recovery Centers to provide one-on-one assistance for people affected by the April tornadoes.

The centers, in Douglas and Washington counties are open until further notice. Recovery specialists from FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration will provide information on available services, explain assistance programs, and help survivors complete or check the status of their applications. To save time, please apply with FEMA online or by phone before visiting a Disaster Recovery Center. If you need help completing your application, FEMA staff will be on hand to help you in person.

Disaster Recovery Center Locations:
Douglas County
Omaha Police Department – Community Room C116
20924 Cumberland Dr
Elkhorn, NE 68022
Hours: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week, until further notice

Washington County
First Lutheran Church
2146 Wright St
Blair, NE 68008
Hours: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week until further notice

To save time, please apply with FEMA online or by phone before visiting a Disaster Recovery Center. If you need help completing your application, FEMA staff will be on hand to help you in person.

How to Apply with FEMA

  • Visit
  • Call FEMA directly at 800-621-FEMA (3362) 
  • Download and use the FEMA app
  • Anyone using a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service, or others, can give FEMA the number for that service. For an accessible video on three ways to apply for FEMA assistance, visit:

President Biden Approves Disaster aid for Douglas and Washington Counties

At the request of Governor Jim Pillen, President Biden has granted a major disaster declaration for the state, triggering the release of federal funds to help Nebraska residents and communities recover from severe storms, straight line winds and tornadoes that occurred April 25-27.  

Assistance includes individual assistance to renters, homeowners and business owners who have sustained losses, and cost-sharing funds, which will help in the removal of debris and emergency protective measures, as well as the reimbursement for repairs to public infrastructure and property. The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency  will soon provide information to assist storm victims with the necessary application processes.

Those who sustained damage or losses in Douglas and Washington counties can begin applying for assistance right away at or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362). There is also a FEMA mobile app, available through Google Play and the Apple App Store.

“This approval will allow Nebraskans affected by the Arbor Day tornadoes to get back on their feet as quickly as possible,” said Gov. Pillen. “We know that the road to recovery will be a long one, but this declaration will help expedite processes and funding provided through FEMA, to help people take care of both immediate and long-term needs.”

In the coming days and in coordination with the state and local governments, FEMA will have staff visiting affected neighborhoods. Those individuals will be carrying identification, so residents know who they are. They will be assessing damage and providing information to impacted individuals.

FEMA works with every household on a case-by-case basis. Here’s how to apply:


Call FEMA directly at 800-621-FEMA (3362)

Download and use the FEMA app

FEMA can provide money that does not have to be repaid for:
• Serious needs, such as food, water, medicine, baby formula
• Displacement, if you can’t stay in your home because of the damage.
• Home repairs and rental assistance
• Other needs, such as replacing personal property

Only one registration per household is needed. When you apply, have the following information available:
• Address with Zip Code
• Condition of your damaged home
• Insurance information, if available
• Social Security Number of one member of the household
• Phone number where you can be contacted
• Address where you can get mail or an email address
• Bank account information for direct deposit of funds

OPPD Information about power reconnection, permits and inspections

Gov. Pillen Requests Federal Disaster Declaration & Assistance

LINCOLN, NE – Governor Jim Pillen has submitted a request to President Joe Biden requesting a federal disaster declaration for the state. It includes a request for federal assistance for a wide range of emergency relief costs, including debris removal, emergency protective measures and individual assistance. The affected area includes multiple counties across eastern Nebraska.

The number of homes impacted by the tornado in Douglas and Washington counties, as validated so far by FEMA is nearly 400, including almost 160 homes that were deemed to be destroyed.

Cash Donations

Funds to assist impacted families are set up through the OMAHA COMMUNITY FOUNDATION, and the UNITED WAY AT 211

Assistance Resources and Phone Numbers

  • Red Cross Disaster Relief: 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
  • Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services: 1-800-SAL-ARMY
  • Nebraska Emergency Management Agency: 402-471-7421
  • United Way of the Midlands: 211
  • Washington County Sheriff's Office: 402-237-5495
  • Bennington City Hall: 402-238-2375


Check daily as details change

City of Bennington – Resources for those impacted by the storm

The Bennington Public School Foundation and the Bennington Community Foundation have partnered together to create the Bennington Disaster Relief Fund.

Donations to this fund will go directly to Bennington students and staff and/or Bennington community members impacted by natural disasters.

Make an online donation now:

The Salvation Army is not accepting additional donations at this time due to the large volume of donations already received.  Anyone wishing to volunteer to staff the Disaster Relief Center can call the volunteer hotline at 402-898-6000.

  • Common Ground Community Center, 1701 Veteran’s Drive 
  • First Lutheran Church, 2146 Wright St., Blair
  • St James United Methodist Church Bellevue, 4343 Capehart Rd. and 1501 Franklin Street (east side) 
  • St John's, Bennington, 322 N Molley Street
  • Three Timber Church, Bennington, 1105 N 156th Street

Highly needed Items: Diapers, trash bags, shelf-stable food, period products, boxes, tubs, box tape, gloves, and cleaning supplies.


To Volunteer: CALL 402-898-6000

Nebraska Preparedness Partnerships:

Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA):

National Weather Service:

Omaha/Valley NWS:

Hastings NWS:

Nebraska Dept. of Natural Resources: Interactive Flood Maps:

City of Omaha:

Douglas County:

Douglas County Health Department:   

American Red Cross:

United Way of the Midlands:

Douglas County NE Emergency Management: Home - Douglas County Emergency Management Agency (

Omaha Rapid Response:

Bennington City Hall: 402-238-2375


Debris disposal site will open Monday, April 29th for tree, limb and other green debris only at Two Rivers State Recreation Area at Highway 92 and South 264th Street. Hours are 9:00am - 5:00pm Monday through Friday. Enter the park along Two Rivers State Recreation Road. Nebraska Game and Parks staff will direct you to designated drop-off locations. Lumber, drywall, insulation, furniture, appliances and other household waste WILL NOT be accepted at this location.

Beginning Monday, April 29th City of Omaha Public Works employees will assist residents in the Ramblewood neighborhood in Elkhorn with disposal of construction debris. Ten large orange dump trucks and loaders, marked with the city seal on the doors, are available for disposal of wood, bricks, shingles, broken furniture, drywall and other household debris.  This is a free service provided by the City of Omaha and will continue daily from 7:30am – 5:00pm until further notice.

These items cannot be discarded in the trucks: tires, hazardous waste, waste oil, paint (dried paint is okay), lead-acid batteries, appliances or air-conditioners. 

Greenbrier Park, 209th and Park Drive in Elkhorn, North Parking lot is accepting green debris from 9:00am to 7:00pm daily until further notice. Please enter from Park Drive from the North and exit heading South via 209th Street. 

Waste Management Pheasant Point Landfill, 13505 N 216th, Bennington: Open 6 am – 6 pm through May 4. Home appliances and hazardous materials are not allowed.

Washington County only: Tree debris only, 3rd and Grant Street, Blair

Bennington: Remote landfill location on the west side of 156th Street, across from fire station

AGC Nebraska Building Chapter Resources:

Members offering assistance:

On Point Construction Management, Inc.
Kevin Kreger, President, 308-440-3547 office: dump trailer and a skid steer with a couple of guys if needed. 

Chris Hill, President 402-896-5520 office, crews and equipment 

Stonebrook Exteriors
Nebraska Contractors License #: 27554-23 402-438-5559


April 30, 2024 press conference:

  • The four regions hit hardest were the Elkhorn, Bennington, and Blair areas, as well as around Eppley Airfield

Please report property damage to 211 or online at DOGIS.ORG/211

Omaha Planning Department Permit and Inspection Process

Information about city permits, inspections, processes, and waivers can be found at this link:

Omaha Building Permit Fees

Owners who will rebuild their homes and businesses after the April 26th tornado will not have to pay building permit fees. The Omaha City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to waive the fees for permits and inspections.  The waiver applies to properties within the city limits and also outside the city within the three-mile zoning jurisdiction (ETJ). City of Omaha Municipal Code allows the fee waiver in the event a tornado causes extensive damage.

Omaha Superintendent for Permits and Inspections Anna Bespoyasny cautions homeowners that a license is required for any building contractor to work as a contractor in the city limits or the ETJ. The license requirement will not be waived for out of town or out of state contractors. 

A business license filed with the State of Nebraska is not a building contractor license as required by the City of Omaha. This is the link to the pertinent code sections for contractor licensing:

Road Closures

Nebraska Dept. of Transportation (travel resources):

Road Conditions:

Camera Map:

Protect Yourself Against Fraud

The following tips can help you avoid these schemes:

  • Give to established charities or groups whose work you know and trust.
  • Be aware of organizations with copycat names or names similar to reputable organizations.
  • Do your research. Use the Federal Trade Commission's resources to examine the track record of a charity.
  • Give using a check or credit card. If a charity or organization asks you to donate through cash, gift card, virtual currency, or wire transfer, it's probably a scam. Learn more about this trick from the FTC.
  • Practice good cyber hygiene:
    • Don't click links or open email attachments from someone you don't know.
    • Manually type out links instead of clicking on them.
    • Don't provide any personal information in response to an email, robocall, or robotext.
    • Check the website's address--most legitimate charity organization websites use .org not .com.
  • After a natural disaster or other emergency carefully vet any contactors before hiring them to work on your home or business.

Report Fraud

Attorney General Mike Hilgers is warning Nebraskans to watch out for potential scams related to Friday's tornado damage.
Common scams to be on the lookout for: disaster relief scams; rebuilding and repair scams; and insurance scams.
People who think they are encountering a potential scam can call the Consumer Affairs Response Team at 402-471-2682.